Did you know?
- For example, the brain's Serotonergic system, which plays a key role in emotional activity, does not develop appropriately in the absence of microbes (Clarke et al., 2013). Gut microbes are part of the unconscious system regulating behaviour. Of major importance for societal functioning is the human trait of sociability. We are social creatures with superior cognitive functioning, which enabled us to become the dominant species on the planet. In rodents, who are raised without any bacteria, one sees altered sociability with clear autistic-like patterns of behaviour (Desbonnet et al., 2014).
- • Gut microbes are part of the unconscious system influencing behaviour.
- • Microbes majorly impact on cognitive function and fundamental behaviour patterns.
- • Disorganisation of the gut microbiota can negatively impact on mental health.
- • Psychobiotics are probiotics with a potential mental health benefit.